The past week I have not stopped eating. I seriously need someone to stitch up my mouth. It’s all been rich food too! From lobster, to duck, to gourmet Chinese on Friday night! I sound like a snob but I just love food!
Anyway, with the duck dish last week I made a red wine and mushroom sauce to accompany it. Years ago I would have struggled to just cook a sauce off the top of my head but now I believe my palate is more refined and I know my flavours. It is a really easy sauce to make, tastes delicious and only takes about 20 minutes to cook. It easily serves 4-6 people and is perfect with any red meat or game. It also goes perfectly with the dauphinoise recipe I posted last week!
To make the sauce you need:
- 1 glass red wine
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 4 mushrooms diced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vingegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large knob butter
- Salt and pepper
- 300ml beef stock
- Sweat the onion and garlic in a pan for 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and knob of butter, along with salt and pepper. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and red wine. Simmer for 10 minutes or until it has reduced by half.
- Add the beef stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with red meat or game and dauphinoise potatoes.